John G. Whittier Elementary School

Skip to main content
About Us » School History

School History

Whittier Elementary School was named after John Greenleaf Whittier (1807 - 1892), an American poet who was best known as an opponent of slavery in this country. John Greenleaf could not understand how a nation that was established on the principle of liberty to all could tolerate the enslavement of human beings. He also took great pleasure in his New England country life. These humanitarian concerns and idle pleasures were clearly depicted in his poetry.

Whittier Elementary School was originally constructed on April 27, 1864. There was a second building erected in 1900, and it was refurbished in 1966. Our school has served South Scranton for one hundred and thirty-eight years, and history will attest that we have conducted our business with the same dignity and zest for life and learning as our namesake.